Thursday, January 29, 2009

Friend of Bob that used to work with Janet...

Let me start by complaining.  I like a lot of things about Blogger, especially how easy it is to insert pictures and links, etc, but I absolutely hate logging in to it.  I have several gmail accounts that I use for various reasons- private, anonymous, professional, casual, blogging, storage, etc.  Whenever I try to log into Blogger, it automatically fills in the username with whatever the last gmail account I signed into is, which is often not the account that I use for blogging.  There's a link to click that says, "Sign in as a different user" but when I click it nothing happens.  This happens even if I've logged out of gmail and logged into the account that I use for blogging.  It's very annoying and every time I have to clear my history, empty my cache and delete my cookies, just to log in.  Am I the only one that has this problem?  Maybe it has something to do with me using Safari?

Anyway, I'm starting to get really worried about finding a job.  I thought I'd be back to work by Feb. 1, but that's clearly not happening since I've applied for 20 jobs and I haven't gotten a single interview.  If you have a job, keep it.  I would say that I made a mistake leaving my job, but given my very unique circumstances, I still think it was the right thing for me to do, but unless your job is truly unbearable, hang in there.  The job market is so different than the last time I was looking.

Tonight, I reached a new low.  I sent an email to a man that I barely know who works at a company at which I applied for a job today.  He and I worked at the same place briefly, but we know each other so remotely that I felt as though I had to go to great lengths to explain who I was to him.  Then, I asked him to put in a good word for me.  LOL.  I figured that I had nothing to lose and as far as I am aware, his impression of me has been positive.  Still, it's awkward, even in email.  But sometimes, it's things like this that pay off.

I BARELY knew my old boss at the zoo when I applied for the job there and reached out to her and ended up with the job.  I barely knew her as in I'd met her twice.  Obviously, it helps when you're qualified for the job and I definitely meet (even exceed) the requirements for this position, but I've always heard that it's not what you know, it's who.  Well, I know a lot of people and I've been working my connections, but I'm about to start working them more aggressively and getting more Kevin Bacony about it.  

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kevin Baconey. I like it. Do whatever it takes, man. That's what I say.

You'll get a job. Stay confident. (Dry and secure, too.)
Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Try this: Use another browser. Download Mozilla Firefox. If you're using Safari to get into your e-mail, use Firefox to get into blogger. Or vice versa. I now use Safari only as a backup browser, typically to thwart the kind of situation you describe.

Firefox is free.