Monday, August 10, 2009

Back in the WAGA again!

Well, it's been a while. Apologies for my absence, but I've been having some health issues taken care of and I'm all better now. Tip top shape. Ready to resume my blogging responsibilities.

So, first things first. I'm working again. Returned to work at the local Fox affiliate on Wednesday. As jobs tend to do, it has been sucking up an enormous amount of time! 35 hours this week. I'm freelancing there, so the work is irregular and the schedule is unpredictable. Not ideal circumstances, but I am thankful for the work.

Times sure have changed at the old tv station. They've gone digital, of course, but it's surprising how much this affects day-to-day activity. "Searching" for video no longer entails running around like a mad woman trying to find a tape, but instead simply conducting a query on a computer. Welcome to the 90s!

Of course, all this new technology means that I can't simply breeze in and resume my duties. I have to be retrained, so that's what I've been doing this week.

Other than that, during my convalescence, I have been making the most of my blockbuster membership (this is why I don't have netflix) and blazing through some excellent television shows- mostly Six Feet Under, Weeds, Mad Men and Big Love.

Big Love has been interesting. Paul and I agreed that we would not want additional spouses, but I think Paul may have been lying. Even in the show though, it seems like Barb is his "real" wife and the other two are like children that they have adopted that he also has sex with, which um... is surprisingly undisturbing. Although Barb has the most power of the women, it still seems like it would be easier to either be Margene or Nicki. Barb had a normal marriage with Bill, until whatever made her decide to be a polygamist happened (haven't gotten that far) and now she shares him. It would be easier to have never had a monogamous marriage than to have had one and then lost it.

Also, as discussed in the show, there are interesting implications for multiple marriage legislation, if gay marriage were to become legal. Who would ever have thought that traditional Mormons and liberal homosexuals would strange allies on an issue? Unlikely pairing (I almost said "bedfellows." Haha.). Also, it's hard to believe that there wouldn't be more affairs between the wives, especially in marriages with more than 10 wives. I mean, they barely get to spend the night with their husband, they share bedrooms, they are "married." Seems like it would work kind of like in prison, where there are no men, but plenty of women from which to choose.

Not sure how I feel about polygamy. It's not for me, that's for sure, but I suppose I don't mind if other people do it. Only, if it ever becomes legal, I would certainly hope that the law wouldn't mandate that men could marry multiple women, but that a woman could only marry one man. That would probably send everyone into a tizzy.

1 comment:

Anny said...

"Welcome to the 90s!" *giggle* Did you previously know your trainer or is this someone totally new?

I always thought the second wives were more like angsty teens than adults too :P I need to start Mad Men.