Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Elektra Decked

We just bought our first real grown-up piece of art. We have some pieces that we've inherited or otherwise aquired, but Paul really liked this piece by artist Lance Carlson. It's called "Elekta Decked." Paul immediately got the title, because of his familiarity with comic books, but it was lost on me. Apparently, the comic book character, Elektra, inspired by, but not to be confused with the Greek mythology character, Electra, was (in one version of the truth of the comic world) killed by a playing card.


It's hanging in the dining room, where is looks awsome. Paul and I always disagree over how to hang art. He always wants to hang it too high (ahem) but he won out on this piece because of a flaw in the paint on the wall left by a previous larger piece.

You can't really tell in the picture, but it's made from pieces of wire mesh. It's a sort of postmodern pop art, I guess, if I, with my limited knowledge of art theory, had to classify it, but it really compliments the classic modern tulip chairs we use in the the dining room.

Man, I wish I was rich.

1 comment:

Anny said...

This is really gorgeous, you should post a picture with said tulip chairs (cause I'm nosy and like pretty things).