Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sarah's Birthday

A couple of weeks ago I went out with some friends for my good friend Sarah's birthday. It was an interesting evening full of new activities for me. First, we all met at thrive for drinks and then dinner.

I've been in the 101 Marietta Street building many times (that's where Radio One is located), but never really noticed the swank little restaurant adjacent to the lobby. It turns out that the food was delicious, although we were practically the only patrons. We started with the Thrive sweet crab & artichoke fondue, which was so good that I could have eaten it all myself and I think we were all embarrassed by how possessive we were being over the dip. It was great. For my entree, I had the Springer Mountain chicken breast, roasted red potatoes & rosemary port reduction, which was hands down, the best chicken dish I've ever had in my life. I mean, except for, you know, McNuggets. As far as I could tell, everyone was happy with their meal.
However, the restaurant wasn't chosen for it's food. It was chosen for it's proximity to The Glenn Hotel where those that planned on drinking had reserved several rooms. Due to my unfortunate unemployment, I could afford to neither get a room or drink, so I didn't actually stay there, but I did visit Sarah's room between dinner and a trip to the bar on the rooftop of The Glenn Hotel. From the lobby to the elevator to the room, no detail was overlooked in establishing the modern feel of the hotel. It's retro-modern style remided me of the famous Parker Hotel, where I've also never stayed. But aside from the fabulous modern decor, the real highlight of the hotel was the afore-mentioned rooftop bar. The building is just the right height... you are high enough to see all the city, but low enough to still be able to recognize the streets and see the people. Unfortunately, it was extemely crowded on that night, but it would have been quite enjoyable when it is a little less busy, perhaps on a week night.

But the real highlight of the evening was meeting Tohper Payne, the partner of Sarah's good friend Tommy. When I got home and googled Topher, I read that he was a "southern humorist." That's what I want to be! Like Hollis Gillespie or Lewis Grizzard. Or Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy! *sound of record screaching* Ok, maybe like Hollis Gillespie. In any case, Topher was every bit as charming and warm in person as he is in his column, which is hilarious. Of course, Topher's also an actor and recently wrote a book. OF COURSE.

This blog, admittedly, is mostly a marketing tool for my store, but reading Topher's work makes me a little ashamed of that, because he clearly puts so much thought into his posts. And not just thought, but heart. It makes me want to be a better writer.

I stole all the photographs used in this post from the respective web sites.

1 comment:

sarahbella said...

I love you Bunni and I am so glad you came!