Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Like Ryan's...

Went out to dinner with my mom last night. She promoted the restaurant of her choice as, "Like Ryan's. Only not as good." That should have a been a huge red flag, but I figured, it's one meal, what the hell. So, my sister and I joined her at Kacey's Home Cooking on LaVista near Northlake Mall. Upon entering, I encountered the second red flag, which I also ignored- a health department rating of 80. I try to hang with 90 and above establishments, unless it's, you know, some seedy, but especially tastey ethic establishment, which isn't exactly my scene either, but I can at least understand why someone would temporarily lower their sanitation standards to eat there. In any case, Kacey's was not worth the health risk. In fact, it was mostly inedible. I only attemped fried chicken, mac and cheese and a slice of cheesecake. It seemed as though all the food had simply been poured straight from a can onto the buffet. Admission: $7.

Despite what a horrible culinary experience this was, I remarked to my sister how suprised I was that it was so busy and she noted that she was not suprised by how busy it was, but by the average age of the clientale. Unlike Picadilly or Morrison's, this place was actually mostly families, rather than the elderly population, which is who I would typically expect as such an establishment. Go figure.

The interior of this place... wow. I wished so badly that I had a camera. One review I read on yelp.com said, "The decor and layout of this place was amazing. Imagine if they put a Golden Corral inside a strip club from the 1980s. This place seriously looks like Crockett and Tubbs are going to bust in at any moment and clean house - every vertical surface in the place is mirrored. It's Scarface's All You Can Eat Buffet." Seriously, could I say it any better?

Also, another fact that I found hilarious is that while we were in there, there was a crew installing a new television. The reason this was hilarious is because there was a television about every two feet in this place. And these are fancy flat screen tvs. I think that if Kacey's has money to spend, perhaps they might want to reconsider getting that 12th flat screen television and perhaps hit up a market or even a restaurant supplier and quit getting generic cans of green beans from Costco.

It was seriously, probably the worst food I've ever eaten, which I mean, I was expecting, but it was actually worse than my expectations. So, if you must go to an all you can eat buffet, actually go to Ryans or Western Sizzler or whatever. But really, just either cook at home or go to a real restaurant. Or at least get yourself fast food. Whatever you do, don't go to Kacey's Home Cooking.

No comments: